Friday, February 21, 2014

Artist Post #3- Kandisky

Artist Post #3: Wassily Kandinsky
Wassily Kandinsky (1866-1944) was a Russian born artist and musician. He focused upon abstraction within his works, particularly when representing music within paintings. It is debated that he had perfect pitch, which referenced his claim that he "saw" colors in music. His abstract works caused controversy among his compatriots, among both the Russian, German, and Parisian art cultures.

Kandinsky was also a theorist on art. He focused upon the spirituality of making art and music. He outlined the types of painting with one of his major works (Du spirituel dans l'art) as impressions, improvisations, and compositions. One can see this within his works and their specific titles.

QUOTE: "Color is the keyboard, the eyes are the harmonies, the soul is the piano with many strings. The artist is the hand that plays, touching one key or another, to cause vibrations in the soul."

The images below represent his experiments with art: 









As a critique, I think is is the coolest artist I have encountered. Why? HE USES MUSIC! That is incredible that someone who is gifted in the arts of music can literally put this embodiment of music on paper. Though I don't really care for abstract art, I feel that Kandinsky could not make his work any other way without bordering his art upon illustration.

Sources:
http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/kandinsky/
Concerning the Spiritual in Art: Wassily Kandinsky
brainyquote.com

***
EXTRA: So because I am so inspired by Kandinsky, and as I am a musician and composer myself, I am taking one of my pieces that I have composed and am doing art to it in the Kandinsky style.
Not perfect. Not at all, but a start.
As a note, each of the four parts (vln1, vln2, vla, cel.) are represented in a different color.


No comments:

Post a Comment